Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Recently I found myself being very caught up in a popular TV series. It
seemed to be just my type- action, suspense, comedy, and a touch of
romance. There were some things about the show that I don’t approve of but
I found them easy to overlook.  It just happens that I spend a lot of time
at a family member's house and she plays this program a lot, thus feeding my likes
for the show.
About the same time the Lord really began speaking to my heart about
getting more serious about seeking His face. I really felt an urgency to
fill myself with the Word of God and seek Him through prayer. As I began to
receive what the Lord was telling me- I found His voice speaking to my
heart about this show that I was enjoying. Ouch! But, as I began to listen
to what He was telling me, I saw how wrong I had been and how I had allowed
myself to be deceived in this area.
I was led to take a deeper look at the show. What I found was unpleasant.
My eyes were opened and I saw how this program supported fornication on a
high scale. I had overlooked the remarks and conversations as something
that may affect children, but not adults. I began to see what I had
overlooked- everyone on the show made it clear that they had pre-marital
sex often and treated it as the norm or something to include in their
jokes. There were other questionable things this show promoted but that was
the tops.
The Lord began to show me that what we consistently feed off of is what we
will eventually become. I began to see that if I continued to like this
show then I would at some point in time be transformed by it and think that
the ungodly morals it portrayed were not so ungodly. There were some
questions I needed to ask myself. Was this show uplifting in any way? Did
it inspire me to do well or to do evil? Was this something I would sit down
and watch with Jesus? The answer to the above questions was a no! Now, I
realize that we are not going to watch or partake of things that are
completely perfect and we will find things that we don’t agree with in
almost anything we partake of. But, when we start to fill ourselves with
things that are full of the works of the flesh, then that is where we go
wrong, my sisters. One minster that God has used to bless my life once
said, “Only have as much entertainment as you can spiritually afford.” How
true.
So, I had to give up the show. I’m so glad I did and feel the better for
it. Since I knew that I would come across many opportunities to watch this
show, I asked the Lord what I should do about it. I felt Him tell me to
only make myself present when I knew that show would not be on. And when I
do happen to be in the room where it is being played, I choose to do
something else or go away, so my mind will not be entangled once again.
I share this with you today to encourage my sisters to take a closer look
at the things you are feeding yourself on. Are they good things or things
that will tear you down? I want to close this teaching by an expert from my
journal after I had been convicted.
“Mainly I have been convicted about a particular show I’ve been growing to
like. My devotional today was about cleansing ourselves of those things
that defile. Example- if we don’t believe in adultery and fornication, we
shouldn’t watch it or things that approve of such actions. The scripture
that stuck out to me was 1John 2:15-17 ‘Love not the world, neither the
things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the
Father is not in Him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,
and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but
is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he
that doeth the will of God abideth forever.” These TV shows are just shows-
they will pass away. They won’t carry me through the rough spots. But a
built up supply of the Word of God will.”
Take some of the time you spend on the pleasures of this life and put it
into seeking God. Don't do like I did and let the enemy suck you into something
that will only damage you in the long run.
The things of this world won’t sustain you- only Jesus!
Love in Jesus Christ,
Anna Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment