Monday, September 12, 2011

In Daddy's Shoes

Recently I was working with my little brother in the chicken area of our family farm. For those that don’t live on a farm, cleaning out the roosting and hen houses are not pleasant jobs! Needing some extra help, I went in the house and asked my mother, “Who all is not in school?” Immediately, memories began to flood my mind. That was the exact same question my Dad would always come in and ask my Mom when he needed help on the farm! He hardly works without children around him. As I was serving my family and doing something for my Dad that he needed done, I was un-intentionally doing just like he would do if he were working instead of me.

Lately the Lord has given me a greater vision for family and his purpose for the family. And I feel my heart being drawn even more so towards my own family. I feel blessed that the Lord has given me an opportunity to serve them more for a little while. And while I serve I know that I am helping carry out my Dad’s vision for our family farm. I know that the time is coming, in fact it will come soon, that I will be onto the next phase in life and will not be around all the time to help out like I am now. So, I want to make the most of this time.

Part of our job as daughters is to carry on our Dad’s vision and to help him fulfill his God given roles in society. When we marry, our duty will be switched from helping our Dads to helping our Husbands. For me, part of that duty is to help run the family, the other part is ministry. As I was working in that chicken lot, I felt like I was in my Dad’s shoes- doing his work with lots of little ones around me.

Girls, I want to encourage you today to look around you and see what you can do to serve God by serving your family. Ask your mother what you can do to ease the load. When your Dad comes home from work, inquire what you can do to really bless his life and the lives of your family. You will find satisfaction by embracing your God given opportunity to help carry your family through whatever season of life they are in.

That’s not to say you can’t do other things. Of course you can! But, by getting your priorities right and putting family first, you will find great fulfillment and will be even happier when you do get to do other things.

So, just a little encouragement to not be so busy living your own life that you don’t take time to serve those that need you as well- your family.

‘Remove not the ancient landmark, which they fathers have set.” Proverbs 22:28

Love in Christ,

Anna Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment